Sunday, July 10, 2005

"A Party of Inclusion" part two

This is a few weeks old, but worth reading nonetheless due to its timeless nature.

About a month ago, Howard Dean, already not the American most in touch with reality, called the GOP a "white Christian party". Then he went on to praise the Democrats. Courtesy of the GOP email list, a National Review Online rebuttal noting that Howard Dean was likely absent the day they taught history in history class. Quoth Peter Kirsanow:

Dean’s comments clearly suggest that the GOP is, if not hostile to a demographic broader than white Christians, at least cool toward including non-whites and non-Christians in the party. If Dean truly believes these statements, then he needs to both review his history texts and spend some time on current events.

In terms of sheer historical hostility toward minorities, the Republican party fares a bit better than the competition. For example, it wasn’t the GOP that opposed the Emancipation Proclamation. Nor was it the GOP that opposed the Thirteenth Amendment prohibiting slavery, the Fourteenth Amendment guaranteeing equal protection, or the Fifteenth Amendment guaranteeing voting rights. (In fact, Republicans voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act in greater percentages than did Democrats.)


As a Jewish woman, this speaks to me because there are many who wish to tell me that as a woman, I should vote Democrat and/or that as a Jew, I should vote Democrat.

This is silly. When you vote for a party because they're that party regardless of how they act (sort of like Canadians who keep supporting the Liberals) then the party doesn't need to be responsible to you. George W. earned my vote in 2004, and whomever runs in 2008 will need to earn my vote.

The Republicans tend to see their weaknesses, I think, and are working hard to include. The Democrats need to figure out what theirs are (and fix them!) if they're ever going to get back into power.

2 Comments:

Blogger No Display Name said...

Hey Life After York:

I like the blog. I went to York myself (I did an MA in poli sci back in '98...I didn't exactly fit into the department! :)

So, who do you like in 2008? I'm not too crazy about the Dems, but Evan Byah might be the best of the bunch. On the GOP side, I understand Tom Tancredo is interested...it's a shame Steve Forbes doesn't want to run again.

www.grumpyyoungcrank.blogspot.com

1:17 AM  
Blogger Ibrahimblogs said...

It is indeed worth a read. Thanks for sharing!!

Keep it up!

This is Ibrahim from Israeli Uncensored News

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home