Tuesday, December 21, 2004

"Hot chicks" blogging.

Hat tip to reader Tiger who remembers as always that I am interested in discussions of gendered blogging.

I'm female. People who read me know that, because it's been a matter of debate - specifically because many of those who would guess would consider me a male if they didn't think about it.

The current discussion is in Dean's World and OxBlog, where discussions are had abot gender gaps in blogging.

Both posts are definitely worth reading, stemming from the initial question of "WHY DON'T HOT CHICKS BLOG?"

Many good answers are offered, some which are more true and some which are less so. One thing I notice is that my blogging is specifically because I have things that I want to say that the world doesn't want to hear from me (because aggressive women aren't cool, because pro-Americans aren't cool, because whatever...) and the anonymity of the blogosphere makes it possible for me to say what I say without being shunned or ignored or mocked.

I of course find the use of the expression "hot chicks" to be quite revealing. I will call myself a chick because I think it's useful for modern feminists to reclaim the word.

But if the various gentlemen concerned about a dearth of female political bloggers stopped typecasting women by their degress of hotness, perhaps it would go a long way to making women, and more importantly young girls, think that their ideas and opinions are as important as their cup size.

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home