Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Why Democracy is Good (and everyone should vote)

Lots of university students will tell you that they don't vote because they don't think their vote matters. According to TellAnAmericanToVote.com, George W. was elected by 537 votes last time around (I'm not sure in which state,) and 7.1 million Americans live abroad.

The message is clear - every person counts.

Of course, the message is slightly deceptive. I am a Massachusetts voter, so my state will go Kerry no matter what I do, but still, I am being encouraged to vote. Seems rather pointless.

But if we all didn't vote, then things would be bad. A perfect example: In recent years, York elections have drawn about 3,000 voters - less than 10% and less than the 4,000 supposed "angry students" who signed the anti-YFS petition. Maybe if those angry students had voted to begin with, they wouldn't have been so angered by their student government.

New rule: People who don't vote shouldn't sign petitions against elected leaders they didn't give a damn enough to elect.

Moral of the story: If you are American, go vote. I don't care if you vote Kerry or Bush (I mean I do care, but it's your choice) as long as you show the effort to participate. Otherwise, shut up about how much you hate this politician or that politician - you didn't vote, you don't have a right to complain.

And that's the truth about democracy.

1 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Irresistible blog. I look for blogs like this one
when time allows me to. I enjoyed the site and I'll
check it next time!
Stop by and visiit my blog!

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home