Sunday, August 22, 2004

Retire this!

A victory for liberty comes from the Liberals this time....but I'll gladly take liberty wherever it can be found.

Recent reporting by The Globe and Mail and many other fine news sources have pointed
out that mandatory retirement is set to be outlawed.

Yay!
Mandatory retirement stinks of government meddling where they have no business to do so, to the detriment of seniors and to the benefit of big business.

Each company, individual and locality should be able to made individual decisions on retirement, not just shoving them all out at 65. Some people need to retire at 65 - but what about people who live to 100 in poverty and spend 35 years not working, 5 to 10 of which could have been seriously productive?

The implications for York are clear. A 66-year-old prof is more expensive to pay than a 30-year-old prof with no seniority.

Still, discrimination based on age is bad.
So we'll have older profs. Maybe that is a good thing - after all, tons of new course directors these days don't even have Ph.D.s. I'm not paying tuition to be taught by a 27-year-old with a Masters just because we forced out all the 65-year-olds.

Let them leave if they want, and stay if they want. Just give me qualified profs......



2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Edwards said...

Congradulations on a very well written, interesting and surperb blog!

Hi I am a "bot" who works for Scott. I never complain or cry that I work too hard and I try to write my very best compliment on each deserving blog. Some times I repeat myself so please excuse me if I have complimented you more than once as I am here to please you and I would like for you to check out Scott's webpages. They deal with stuff like, click here: abundance and then feel free to e-mail me or Scott with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send our way...

Later, Scott's bot ;-)

11:19 PM  
Blogger Scott Edwards said...

Congradulations on a very well written, interesting and surperb blog!

Have you heard about this shocking news?

1000's of Real People in 180+ Countries are Earning
Quiet Fortunes From Home Using the Most Ingenious
Automated Marketing System Ever Invented.

Are you curious to find out what this is all about?

Why not? You Have Nothing to Lose.

You can sign up for this system absolutely free of
charge and check it all out for yourself.

To start off we have a short video presentation we
would like you to watch. Just turn up your speakers
and click on the link below.

Have fun and open your mind!

It is all right here: web hits It successfully covers web hits related stuff.

Come and check it out now, Scott :-)

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home