Thursday, July 29, 2004

Tardy linkfest day 8......

This linkfest is late, due to there being a real me living in the real world.

So today, a linkfest about blogging.

S. Michael writes about the possibilities of making a living by blogging on Fuki Blog.

Simon of Showcase links to tons of tips, including Harvey's post on how to get more traffic.

And of course, my favourite Rightwing Duck asks the rheotrical question Why are you blogging?

So why am I blogging?

I guess I blog because I have something to say. I have opinions, I have ideas, and the exchange and contemplation of ideas is supposed to be the quitessential university paradigm.

I am prepared to think, to challenge and be challenged. But I find myself largely marginalized and ignored for not towing the party line.

I'm the first to admit that the party line has its good points. But I won't let anyone tell me what to think and what is good for me. I have a brain, and I plan to figure these things out on my own. That's one of the reasons I don't belong to a political party - because I reserve the right to change my mind at any given time.

As can be imagined, I am not the most popular student political junkie that ever was.

So I blog because no one will listen otherwise. I'm not a prof, don't have a classroom/audience, I don't start major protests and get airtime for shock value...

So maybe the world of York U is supposed to teach me about my own insignificance, but I refuse to be insignificant.

So I blog.....

...for freedom of expression and freedom of speech that don't compromise the education and safety of others.

...for the airing of unpopular views so that they may be debated all the same.

...for the sake of saying I am spending my time in university making a difference in some small way.

...for every silent York student who doesn't want to be bullied or misled into following someone else's ideas.

...for the students whose views differ from mine, so that we can share our ideas and learn from each other.

...for the idealists who really believe that this dialogue of opposing ideas is possible and

...for the cynics who stopped caring when they realized that it wasn't.

I'm an anonymous blogger, because I can't go public with my views. The consequences would be more trouble than it's worth.

So I blog for me, and for a world where someone like me can say who she is without fear of repercussions.

 

.....And that's the truth about York.

1 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Creative blog.  I thought it was the best site out
and we had to go back to it! Every chance I get on the
net I search for blogs just like your site.
Hey son, you need to check out my blog!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home